Sunday, May 16, 2010

Blog 1 Leadership and planning 565

Here we are a well over a year from the start looking at the skill and characteristics of good leadership. When I first saw this on the class list frankly it looked out of place. I was taking this course work to improve my online teaching skills. Along the way I have learned how to better communicate and organize my online classroom. I have investigated and explored many helpful online tools. I have learned much about the inner workings of a the computer and how to better use the connectivity of the internet to meet my students learning needs. I could not see how this class would fit in with all the rest.

After working with my cohorts for the better part of two years I do understand how a class on leadership fits in and why it is placed here at the end of the experience. I am not a leader within my district or department but I have read the blogs and have been utterly impressed by the leadership being displayed by many members of this cohort in their home districts.

Many have be driving forces in acquiring and using new proven technologies in their classrooms and at their schools. They have also show initiative in experimenting and implementing more cutting edge technologies as well. I here their passion in their writing and applaud their efforts. It makes sense that after acquiring some skills in this area while not experts in the field we can certainly serve as advocates for proper and productive use of technologies in the classrooms of today and with enrollment of others more of the learning of tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Terry,
    I would agree that our cohort is full of leaders. Leadership requires vision and the ability to be reflective. In order to move students, departments and organizations forward leaders are always looking for opportunities for growth.

    Our cohort is full of people who took the opportunity to explore new methods to engage students and to prepare students for a future that few of us realized would exist even 5-10 years ago.

    Yes- we have many leaders indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Advocating for the use of technology and pushing for teaching our kids 21st Century skills is one area of leadership we can all take on now that we have begun to investigate what is out there and have been taught how to find and use the resources. I, too, have been impressed with the leadership that many of our cohort colleagues have displayed. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete