Sunday, July 25, 2010

culminating expereince

Culminating expereince

This is a for the sills and technologies that we have experienced in this class. Also a shout out to the curriculum hey Louis. Let me take you back to last week. My culminating experience activity had been going very well. I had completed the following.

culminating proposal draft ok’d
full day of Html training from the head programmer for the company who provides our curriculum
individual research on html, some great online resources are available.
one on one work with the head of my department

downloaded application needed for curriculum editing

I was able to make changes to files that I downloaded and then submit those changes and have them appear in my classes big big deal for iQ teachers

I talked to Louis and talked about plan and how I was going to represent this in the portfolio

Got up Early Wed July 28th got the coffee ready papers out opened some apps and
BooooooooM!!!!!

Yep computer crash............ ok no panic, reboot check messages, scratch head
what does Stop code 0000ffffffx000000x fffffffff000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 mean any way.

no worries reboot again Stop code 0000ffffffx000000x fffffffff000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGG that right revert right to Pirate speak. Shiver my timbers Ahhhh poop deck.
The bad news
My hard drive crashed ...............
I lost all my most recent Caribbean vacation pictures (not all? see good news below)
I lost weeks of work (only weeks see below under good news)
I had to complete my culminating experience on my lap top.

The good news
Actaully this is part bad and lots good news We have a back up that for some reason stopped backing up in early June. so good news saved most everything yeah! bad news lost a month and a half of work.

* Most of my grad work materials can be found in cloud storage, wohoo!
* I did not have to go Mad
* My wife though of attaching key board and mouse and monitor to my lap top increasing efficiency, once again I stayed relatively sane.


So owe a great deal to Louis and the MEIT curriculum for teaching me the skills to effectively deal with this potential disaster. Though to be completely fair they are the ones who are making me do all this work in the first place and without them I would probably be tending the garden or playing NCAA 11 right now.
So thanks a lot Louis!!!

Really I owe you most of my sanity!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you Terry. Well actually not totally as I only lost a very tiny bit of information. Last week I contracted a Virus that none of my cleaners were finding. 2 years ago I would have been shitting a brick, but not now. I simply searched through my computer and found the effected file folder, copied the link, went to a forum and posted the copied file and asked for assistance in finding a cleaner that would clean the effected file and got the help I needed. Upon completion, however, at first glance it appeared that I had lost all of my information. My desktop had lost all of the files I had saved to over the last year. My documents page was non-existant. My drivers were all gone. I was about to panic but then the knowledge I had learned over the past year and a half kicked in. I checked my hard drive to see how much space I had on it to see if in fact I had lost everything or if it was just hidden. It was in fact just hidden so I started running searches for the info and found it all. I will simply rewrite my drivers when I get back to school and reboot the information from that network. The pictures and videos that I lost were all saved online so in fact, this just gave the reason I needed to go through and start dumping documents and images that I no longer needed, giving my computer a much needed breath of fresh air after running at max capacity for so long. Not to mention that because of this class, I bought a TB external and backed up all of my inforamtion on that so even if I had lost it all, I would have simply plugged in the external and rebooted from there. THANK YOU MEIT PROGRAM. Feels good to know that we now have the knowledge to protect ourselves from feeling helpless. Glad to hear you were able to recover most of your stuff! It's been a pleasure working with you for the past 18 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You (and the others) have come a long way Terry - best of luck to you in the future!

    ReplyDelete