Sunday, July 25, 2010

Week 6 leadership

Here are some belated and quick thoughts about leadership. I am thankful this class was included in our curriculum. The topic was just a semester late but has helped salvage some of you departments transition to a grading and curriculum change that is taking place in the Waukesha school district. I really could have used it about 6 months ago when the change to criteria based grading was proposed to the iQ staff. I asked a bunch of questions and tried to get clarification you know the why, what when kinda stuff and then asked the why some more. I was not satisfied with the answers I received and made some people uncomfortable with my questions. During our class I came to realize just why we were all uncomfortable.

One the district had been working on the transitions for several years (just not iQ) the folks my questions upset the most were the ones new to iq or had worked mostly face to face and had been in the loop as it were. When I realized what was happening I asked for the supportive literature from the powers that be and read through them. They really were quite barren of facts or supportive information for the change but did at least give some vision for the change with some very basic guidance. Secondly I have no control at this point in the process so I can show some trust and move forward with the change.

The new skills I have learned in the culminating experience activity CED0599 give me unique skills to help facilitate the changes taking place with the iQ curriculum. I look forward to developing my role as a leader at iQ and in online education.

No comments:

Post a Comment